Trend Articles Collection

RESOURCES : www.ezinearticles.com

Why it is Important to Be Social in Social Media

If you are like me, you have become fascinated with the popularity of social media and the diversity of its involvement into the mainstream of our lives.

All you have to do for social proof is to take a look at the Alex ranking of the Top 20 most visited websites on the Internet and you will see that 5 of these sites are social media sites (#2 Facebook, #4 YouTube, #12 MySpace, #15 Twitter, #20 Bing)

So I think it is comfortable to say that social media is here to stay and if we are waiting to see if it is a fad or a force, I am here to help, it is a FORCE.

Now if your thought is to get involved in ALL the social media sites, you are biting off more than perhaps you can chew. Why? Because there is literally hundreds of social media/bookmarking sites available to us that offer similar and in some cases distinct options.

My recommendation would be to join three to four at the beginning and really master the use of the site before moving on to the next one and the next one.

One of my observations as I virtually travel through these sites is the lack of "social" etiquette used by some users within these communities.

What I mean by this is that each and every social media site is a community within itself. It has its basic structure and rules and regulations. The community as a whole will help others stay within those guidelines using various methods such as; gentle hints in posts, deleting of comments and in some cases pretty nasty communication.

So if we are interested in joining a community, then it is my recommendation to learn the dos and don'ts of that community.

The first thing I recommend that you do when you join a social media site is to fully complete a profile and upload an appropriate picture of yourself.

I don't know how many people on a daily basis try and offer me, sell me, connect with me, etc... within a social media community and do not even have a picture uploaded.

This actually boggles my mind.

Why would I want to connect or do business with anyone that does not have the decency or credibility to upload an appropriate picture of them? Answer: I wouldn't. For me any communication I receive from another member of the social media site that I am a member of that does not have an appropriate picture uploaded is immediately deleted.

Now let's talk about what an appropriate picture is within a social media site. Well that depends on what you are using that site for. If you are using the site strictly for social interaction and non-business connecting than any picture that you choose to represent you is of course at your discretion. In some examples that I have come across, some people do not necessarily use any discretion.

So, the question that remains is what is an appropriate picture for one to use within a social media site if one is choosing to conduct business? Answer: A picture of you that your grandmother would be proud of.

We have all seen the examples of pictures used on a social media site that are at best questionable and yet the individual is expecting to have credibility with their audience.

Personally, when I coach someone about personal branding, the first two things that I review are the picture and the information being used in a profile.

It starts with your picture. That is the first thing that people see of you. It should represent you in a positive manner. Now, I am not suggesting that it shouldn't be fun, what I am suggesting is the "one" picture that you choose to represent yourself in that social media site should be appropriate for your chosen use for that site. Hint: I recommend putting the fun pictures within the appropriate sections of the profile.

In closing, the most important part of social media is to be "social." Think of it as you walking into a room of people that you have never met, but want to get to know. Ask yourself this question, "How should I present myself if I want to attract people to me?"

Kevin D. McNabb has been a professional network marketer since 1985.

During this time he has been able to build an organization in excess of 60,000 people in over 37 countries. His goal is to help create 100 millionaires through network marketing.

For more information about how to explode your presence on social media or Kevin McNabb (The Responsible Network Marketer(TM)), please see http://RNM.KevinMcNabb.info

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Kevin_D._McNabb

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Trend Articles Collection by Noman khan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 India License.
Based on a work at www.trendarticles.co.cc.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Twitter Counter

Articles Collection

Followers

See Also Here

Visitors

free counters